Monday, October 13, 2008

The Sky is a Window and the Ocean a Mirror


Hovea Falls: Window on the Track

The Sky is a Window and the Ocean a Mirror 13th October 2008

In conversations with myself I imagine the sky is a window, and that the sun is a giant lamp pulled along an invisible thread.
The moon too is a lamp held by an unknown being, although, I suspect the moon is the earth's bathroom light fixed to its ceiling we call the sky; or a bedtime light that she uses to watch the movements of life upon her skin.
"And the ocean, what of that vast quantity of water?"
I hear my thoughts trying to trick me, "What of the ocean??"
I think the sea is a mirror, a giant mirror that the earth shines beyond, to its brothers and sisters in its solar system and outwards, to its cousins and extended family of the Milky Way.
"And what of the milky way, what purpose does it serve?" says my mind out to trick me...sure, is not the milky way and its billion plus suns of light and life reflecting skin an amalgamation of many and an experimental infinity of one?
A spiraling infinity of possibility, that the eyes of someone or some thing distant, might wonder, just like ourselves, if life as we know it, might also be watching, wondering...
"Yeah?" but my mind wants to question...
But what comes my answer...
"What of birds?"
"What do they see in the rivers and lakes below them?"
"What Topsy turvy world do they engage in a ceiling above and sky below them, reflections of the sky and clouds that tumble and rise - what do they see to think?"
Well, I don't know, I am not a bird, but if I were, I'd imagine a mindfulness of wind in my feathers, of wings outstretched of soaring and gliding and the water below, I think, must still be a mirror, tracking movement and possibility.
A mirror awakening to the celebration of life, of life that moved from its sea to its shorelines, and then to the air, and from trees onto the earth and into the sky.
Sky Gods we have become, we who have learned to fly, in earth time in the blink of an eye, who will one day navigate the stars.
I still say the oceans are a mirror and the moon and sun are but lights and lamps and beacons to worlds beyond, signalling their signals, blinking in a sea of possibility to ships in the night...

1 comment:

Dianne Pereira said...

Thanks for writing your views. Visually inspiring to paint with birds eye in mind. Black & white cockatoos have visited our front garden daily for the last 2 weeks, eating seeds from a Canadian tree. A native tree has just flowered and when the fruits ripen it will be interesting to see if the birds visit.